Join our zoo community

Zürich Zoo Zurich Zoo News

Discussion in 'Switzerland' started by kiang, 24 Jul 2009.

1. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

I think that until zoogiraffe can learn to use English correctly then he has no business trying to make comment on non-English speakers...

2. arafan

arafan Well-Known Member 5+ year member

There were some plans to renovate the penguin exhibit, but saddly these plans won't be relaised. And I really hope that Zurich will give their king penguins away.

For the new aquariums, there will just be 8 aquariums in the future, only three of them will contain marine species, one with sea horses and garden eels, one with reef species, and an other with predator and poisonous fish. The other five will contain, electric eel, piranha and an aquarium for species of the mangroves. I'm looking forward to see if they may still will hold some species tamarin or bird species in the land part, like they did before.

3. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Hi arafan, any firm completion dates now for the Aquarium part?

4. arafan

The last informations was that it will reopen in late Septermber.

5. zoogiraffe

zoogiraffe Well-Known Member

I have never said I am fluent at speaking or writing English,I am only fluent in gibberish and for the record if we are being very pedantic English isn't my native language,which is Welsh and I have even more trouble using that language

6. zoomaniac

zoomaniac Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Well, regarding the breeding results (which are at least average), the good health in general, and the opportunity for the king penguins to stay in a good outdoor exhibit during winter (which is stronger and mostly longer then in e. g. similar zoos in GB - not to mention Brazil) with walks outside of their exhibit, I really hope that Zurich will keep their penguins (beside that: I have never heard that the zoo management has the intention to give them away.

And tamarins in the planted land part of the aquarium? This is a point I hear for the first time and - as a local - I have never ever observed (but might be possible of course). When exactly was that happened?

7. leone

leone Well-Known Member 5+ year member

visto l'avvicinanza del pantanal, potevano fare l'amazzonia come il masoala .

8. arafan

I think the biggest problem on the penguin exhibit in Zurich is that the penguins can't really swim or dive in that pool, nor in the even smaller ones in the outdoor exhibit. (And actually I lived for a quite long time in Zurich, but moved away a year ago, I still have some contacts to the staff of Zurich, but I see, that has absolutely nothing to do with that :p). It's good to hear that the managment don't plan something like that, but because Basel is building an bigger enclosure for king penguins (and how smaller the space for each animal during the breeding season, better the breeding results) and they may want to adquire new animals, but we'll see what the future will bring.

That with the tamarins was a idea, something that I would like to see, I'm very sorry for the confusion. But I've allready seen some sunbittern, cuban finches and crested partridge there. So I was just thinking, why not some more Callitrichids for Zurich? You never can have enough of them :p

@leone The "Amazon" section is in the upper part of the Exotarium where you can find sloths, tamarins, tamanduas and a lot of free flying bird species, so I don't think that we need an other "Amazonian Masoala"

9. zoomaniac

@arafan: Agree so far that the pool could be better. But at least indoor diving is possible. (the outdoor pool is indeed too flat, although in the wild king penguins stand a lot on land during the first/main cycle of their breeding season in southern summer (= northern winter)).

10. leone

leone Well-Known Member 5+ year member

thank you, ma vedendo la mappa dell'Australia vedo aree esterne per i koala , ma sono provvisorie, oppure devono avere proprio due aree esterne ?

11. antonmuster

antonmuster Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Speaking of which: looking at the original masterplan it's interesting to see
    - that "Selenga" seems to have originally been planned as an aviary
    - that in the entrance area with the penguin statues there was also supposed to be a fairly large aviary connected to the vivarium building
    - a renovated outdoor penguin enclosure with what looks like underwater viewing.

...too bad these plans haven't been implemented.

http://www.vetschpartner.ch/files/vetschpartner_337_01.jpg

12. zoomaniac

That's why I wrote "a lot" and not "all"...;)

But it's indeed interesting and in some cases bad/sad that some exhibits not has been realized (in that way).

13. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

14. Giant Panda

Giant Panda Well-Known Member 5+ year member

The aquarium has reopened.

15. vogelcommando

Last friday a yak was born at Zürich :)

16. vogelcommando

17. vogelcommando

On Dec. 6 a Pileated gibbon was born at Zürich :) !

Coelacanth18 likes this.
  18. Coelacanth18

Coelacanth18 Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

This is excellent news, @vogelcommando! Do you know what the state of the pileated gibbon population is in Europe?

19. vogelcommando

The species is kept at 17 European collections, of which 10 have bred it sofar. Quite a number of the European population have orgins in Zürich.

Coelacanth18 likes this.
  20. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

And or Twycross Zoo for good measure. All the same the population is growing satisfactorily. It was not always that way ...