Join our zoo community
toto98

Mountain tapirs (Tapirus pinchaque)

Mountain tapirs (Tapirus pinchaque)
toto98, 26 Apr 2021
    • Onychorhynchus coronatus
    • toto98
      @toto98 They are beautiful animals, do you think there will be an ex-situ captive breeding programme established for the species at Cali ?

Or do you think that the conservation of the species is much more geared towards in-situ efforts in the Paramos ?
    • toto98
      @Onychorhynchus coronatus I understand the female is unfortunately too old to breed, and there aren't really any breeding age females left in captivity. So unless there is another rescued female in the near future, I don't think there would be any possibilities to establish an ex-situ programme.

With regards to the Paramo projects, I also know the zoo has worked closely with Purace National Park, however, the impact there is limited as the park falls under multiple other jurisdictions which make any projects a bit hard to implement.
      @toto98 Thanks for sharing ! That is quite a shame in terms of both ex-situ and in-situ.

That said, it is great that Colombians can go and see this species at the Cali zoo and learn about them and their plight, I think in that sense it is awesome.
      toto98 likes this.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Zoologico de Cali
    Uploaded By:
    toto98
    Date:
    26 Apr 2021
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    11.2 MB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    6000px
    Height:
    4000px
    Aperture:
    f/4.5
    Make:
    NIKON CORPORATION
    Model:
    NIKON D7200
    Date / Time:
    2021:04:20 16:27:59
    Exposure Time:
    10/3200 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 2500
    Focal Length:
    55 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).