Join our zoo community

any european hares ?

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by wildmike, 5 Feb 2013.

1. wildmike

wildmike New Member

Hi - does anyone know of any Zoo in Europe that keeps the European/Brown Hare - Lepus europaeus ? I would like to take some photos. Thanks

2. Maguari

Maguari Never could get the hang of Thursdays. 15+ year member Premium Member

Hi!

Welcome to ZooChat!

You can find animals in European zoos on this site: ZootierlisteHomepage

The link will take you straight to holdings for L. europaeus. There aren't many, but a couple are in the UK.

I recommend the British Wildlife Centre. :)

3. tetrapod

tetrapod Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Does the BWC actually keep hares? Not to my previous knowledge, but I haven't there in years. I do recall a collection successfully keeping hares on display in Europe, but where or when I do not recall. Sometimes young hares are brought into captivity, possibly with the idea of starting a display, but upon maturity go ballistic presumably due to human proximity. Has always stumped me why wild rabbits were domesticated but other lagomorphs are not easy to keep in captivity. Maybe it is a 'hares' versus 'rabbit' thing?

4. Maguari

Maguari Never could get the hang of Thursdays. 15+ year member Premium Member

5. Monty

Monty Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I have always thought they would be an interesting animals to keep as we have a lot of wild ones in Australia. In captivity it would be easier to study their behavior. I raised a young one years ago and he turned vicious when about half grown and would jump at me and bite. I released him and he only hung around a couple of days.

I just need to build a yard big enough and secure and I could try again.