Join our zoo community

Chester Zoo Chester Zoo in 2016 #1

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by oflory, 2 Jan 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bongorob

bongorob Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I can't wait.

2. BlackRhino78

BlackRhino78 Well-Known Member

Neither can I...

3. Indlovu

Indlovu Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Although we zoochatters might not be hugely enthralled with the dinosaurs, it's hard to deny that it has been a very popular and successful exhibition in the past.

4. SHAVINGTONZOO

SHAVINGTONZOO Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I surprised myself by enjoying Dinosaurs.

Better than the insects.

5. taun

taun Well-Known Member

Might take some pressure of Islands in the first year, as I know quite a number people who have gone to see it already and come summer there will be surely more.

6. DesertRhino150

DesertRhino150 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

7. gentle lemur

gentle lemur Well-Known Member 15+ year member

A busy day

I had a nice day at Chester yesterday (Monday 15th). I was surprised how busy the zoo was. I realise that it is half term and it was also the first time this year that we have had two consecutive days of fine weather, although it was distinctly cold. Perhaps the current soft-centred Channel 4 series is boosting attendances and I overheard several people talking about the progress in Islands since they visited last summer. When I left it was clear that the main car park had been full, so was the field nearer the entrance (opposite the rhinos) and at least part of the field between the main car park and the nature reserve – impressive for a Monday in February.
    Inside the zoo, there were choke points at the narrow entrance and exit passages to the Bat Cave (I can't repeat its silly name) and there was a queue along most of the length of the path into the Giraffe House while the animals were locked inside to let the keepers clean and tidy the paddock. At noon I had an 30 minute wait in the queue for the Lazy River boat trip, and I would not be surprised if it were longer in the afternoon.
    Which leads to the question, once the dinosaurs have worked their magic, how busy is the zoo going to be this summer? Will the zoo's infrastructure be able to cope?
    I was pleased to see how well the orangs look in their new homes. All the Sumatrans were outside in the sun in the morning, in the open enclosure by the exit from the Monsoon Forest, but unfortunately only visible from the path beside the Bali Aviary or from the boat (which is why I queued so patiently). I spoke briefly to the keeper who was logging their behaviour and she said that they had settled well and were using their new enclosure well. The gibbons stayed inside, but they were also making a good show for the public and their baby seems to be doing well.
    I also saw all the Borneans in RotRA, except for Leia, who may have been staying out of sight, and Tuan of course. I had not seen old Martha for a long time, but she had found herself a nice spot in the sun on my first visit to RotRA and she was sitting inside with Sarikei and Iznee looking very contented on my second.
    One thing I noticed is that there is some duplication and empty spaces in the Reptile exhibits at the moment. There are green crested lizards in the Monsoon Forest and radiated tortoises in Dragons in Danger, duplicating the exhibits in the Tropical House. The garter snake exhibit in the Tropical House has been replanted and is awaiting new occupants, as is the corner exhibit next to the Timor sparrows in RotRA, which has just held pitcher plants for several months now. The mountain chicken and tortoise enclosures in D in D also look rather empty without any arboreal species to complement them. It seems such a shame when there are so few reptile exhibits in the zoo and so many interesting species off-show: I trust that things will get sorted out soon.

Alan

8. NigeW

NigeW Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I went on Sunday, and like you Alan I was surprised at how busy it was, although not as busy as you describe it on Monday, that's the half term effect for sure.

I heard many visitors discussing the TV series, and talking to the keepers about it. I'll give the zoo and film makers every credit, they have made a fine job of it and the zoo staff come across very very well in my opinion.

I share your concerns about capacity come the summer months. I tend to avoid the summer anyway, but should I be unable to resist the temptation of a visit I think I'll be slipping in for the last couple of hours as the masses are streaming out.

I was one of the last in islands on Sunday afternoon and was really able to see it in a different and much better light with few people around. A rare luxury though. The orangs were showing well but even with so few visitors in the building there were bottlenecks around the small viewing windows and heaps of junk, sorry theming, around them.

All in all, despite that moan, Chester Zoo was at its best on Sunday. Great at this time of year in the glow of winter sun.

9. BlackRhino78

BlackRhino78 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the updates guys just a quick question I'll be visiting on Monday (as the crowds will be less with it not being half term) it looks like it will be scattered showers and a bit gloomy is it still worth going as I've never been in the Winter and was wondering if the Zoo isn't as good. I was perhaps wondering whether it will be better because it should be quieter and I should be free to see everything at my own leisure

10. NigeW

NigeW Well-Known Member 10+ year member

George, don't be put off by the time of year, or the weather as long as it isn't chucking it down.

The zoo is much better now than in high season. The animals are more active, the zoo feels more open, you can see everything at your leisure and you're never far from an indoor exhibit for a warm.

11. OrangePerson

OrangePerson Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Couldn't believe how many cars were in the car parks today, felt more like high season!

12. jde7582

jde7582 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Every day has been like that, even Wednesday (only wet day) was pretty busy, I cycle pass on the cycle path.

I went the other Sunday with my son, we got there for 10 and went straight to islands, we had Monsoon Forrest all to our selves, Very nice experience, both Gibbons and Orangs were coming up to the windows, and we had both Gharial's in the water, with good views.

Also had a good look at the tigers and a boat ride before the crowds started, then we went round the other parts of the zoo which again were sparsely populated.

13. Swampy

Swampy Well-Known Member 10+ year member

The zoo's social media reporting a baby pygmy marmoset has been born- are these still on display in miniature monkeys? I thought the pied tamarins had replaced them.

14. zoogiraffe

zoogiraffe Well-Known Member

They are think they are now mixed at the other end,I know I have seen them at Chester this year,but cannot remember at which end of the complex they are in!

15. Swampy

Swampy Well-Known Member 10+ year member

16. lintworm

lintworm Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I would say Temminck's tragopan.

17. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

18. gentle lemur

gentle lemur Well-Known Member 15+ year member

19. Maguari

Maguari Never could get the hang of Thursdays. 15+ year member Premium Member

A few updates from the zoo yesterday (been a few months since I visited, so apologies if any of this is old news):

- To start with the bad news, no sign of (or signage for) Banded Mongoose, Livingstone's Fruit Bat or Scimitar-horned Oryx - I believe all three have left the collection.

- On the brighter side, there were four new mammal species on show in the the slightly-longer-than-usual gap since my last visit (Silvery Gibbon, Lesser Hedgehog Tenrec, Short-eared Elephant Shrew and Malayan Sun Bear), and...

- Signage is up inside and outside the rear entrance/exit of the Tropical Realm for the Aye-ayes, and also Giant Jumping Rats - so it looks like there will be two more new species on show very shortly: http://www.zoochat.com/42/aye-aye-jumping-rat-signage-chester-440504/

- Blue-legged Mantellas have replaced the San Francisco Garter Snakes in the Tropical Realm. The Mission Golden-eyed Tree Frog enclosure is now being refurbished.

- There are still a few empty terraria in the Realm of the Red Ape with no indication of restocking intention.

- The new mesh enclosure in the Butterfly House is now home to a trio of Panther Chamaeleons.

- European Black Vultures are back to a pair in Europe on the Edge.

- Finally saw the pudu in the Jaguar Coffee House enclosure!

- The ex-pelican enclosure is now about half re-netted, so will hopefully be ready for restocking before long.

- Male zebra was in the former oryx paddock and one Onager (the stallion?) was in the former banteng/bongo/wapiti paddock by the owls.

- Even in slightly murky weather, Islands is sitting very well with me, overall - it's certainly much better now there are no animalless sections!

20. swampy1967

swampy1967 Active Member

There were Oryx in the paddock at lunch time yesterday or today i cant remember which,

could be they are putting u new signage, in the style of the aye aye photo and these will be they style all over the zoo, i havent heard anything about the oryx moing on..... i hope not.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.