Join our zoo community

Lowland Gorillas in Europe 2021

Discussion in 'Europe - General' started by Chatt Wolf, 25 Jan 2021.

1. Chatt Wolf

Chatt Wolf Well-Known Member 10+ year member

{Note from mods - this thread continues from here: Lowland Gorillas in Europe 2020}

Female, Chuma (24) (Givskud Zoo) was euthanized following an illness.

Last edited by a moderator: 1 May 2021
    Pertinax likes this.
  2. Chatt Wolf

Chatt Wolf Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Male, Pole Pole (31) (Loro Parque) was euthanized on January 22nd,due to a possible stroke.

Pertinax likes this.
  3. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Baby born at Berlin Zoo 15th February. Parents Sango x Bibi. This is the first Berlin birth in 16 years.

Charlie, Chatt Wolf and JurassicMax like this.
  4. The Hedgehog

The Hedgehog Well-Known Member

Does anyone know what Gender Touni’s baby at Bristol Zoo is and how it is? I have not heard anything since the birth, so I am fearful that the infant may no longer be with us. What is the latest situation at Longleat Safari Park with their Bachelor Gorilla group? I am aware that Evindi was challenging his elder Brother Kescho for the Silverback position. On Animal Park it was said that if Evindi didn’t back down, he or Kesho would have to be segregated from the group. If this happened one of the Brothers would predominately reside in the rear enclosure,as An alternative possibility would be moving one of the Brothers to a different animal collection. @Pertinax this leads me on to ask you what the status at Longleat currently is. I was thinking could Evindi become the Silverback at London Zoo? If this happened could Gernot the son on the deceased Silverback move to Longleat in place of Evindi.
    @Pertinax are there any arrivals or departures planned for the Gorilla Groups at Chessington,Paignton, Howeletts,Port Lympne,Belfast or Durrel.

5. Pertinax

1. They haven't announced the sex of Touni's baby yet. There is no reason to suggest there is anything untoward in that though- as the zoo is closed of course.

2. If Evindi was chosen to go to ZSL then they would need to make sure he doesn't have the same Klinefelter's Syndrome that made his brother Kesho infertile and necessitated his transfer to Longleat.

3. Gernot is likely far too young and small to integrate with any of the bigger/older males at Longleat. A more suitable future home for him might be with the two Twycross males Lope & Shufai, to whom he is much closer in age. Twycross have any one of several older ape houses that could be used for that.

4. I have heard of no current planned moves in any of the UK groups. Blackpool does have two breeding-age young females that may need to be transferred sometime soon though.

6. The Hedgehog

@Pertinax is Kesho’s Infertility genetic,and have the potential to affect both Alf(ie) and Evindi?

If Evindi is not an appropriate candidate for London Zoo could your namesake at Paignton become London’s new Silverback?

Could Twycross create a Bachelor Gorilla group this year? If they did I think that Lope,Shufai Gernot from London and Backau from Belfast should reside together.

Regarding Maisie and Moanda at Blackpool could they move to London Zoo to enlarge their Gorilla family and join Effie and Majukku? If your namesake did become London’s new Silverback could Alika the Daughter of Majukuu, remain at London and become a breeding female when she hits Maturity? Alternatively if Twycross cannot from a Bachelor Gorilla group this year,could Gernot move to Port Lyme to join their recently formed Bachelor group? I think that Gernot should move to a Bachelor Gorilla group this year so that a new Silverback can move to London and join Effie,Majukuu,Alika and Maisie and Moanda from Blackpool.

@Pertinax what do you think of my ideas and the logic behind them. Would I make a good Western Lowland Gorilla Studbook Keeper?

Last edited: 22 Feb 2021
  7. Pertinax

1. I don't know anything about Klinefelter's but presume it is genetic. Kesho's brothers might or might not be affected by it, but they would obviously need to check.

2. I don't think Pertinax will leave Paignton. They likely regard him as too old and from an over-represented line. A male like Evindi might be more likely, particularly if he is proving problematic at Longleat.

3. I would think it is much too early for Twycross to start a male group as Shufai is still very young. Gernot at London is really too young too. It is unfair on these young males to remove them from their mothers too young- seven or eight is more acceptable (though it is still not natural). But I could foresee a group of Lope/Shufai/Gernot and Baaku(Belfast) being formed at Twycross in future. (Gernot is also too small to add to PL male group). Please N.B. This is not fact, only my speculation on what might happen, though I believe Twycross do plan to hold a male group at some stage in the future as indicated by their future building plans and obviously they have two contenders already.

4. Re. the two young Blackpool females Meisei and Moanda. SB cordinators tend to treat the European population as a whole nowadays so they could equally be sent to a European zoo(s) as stay on within the UK. London hasn't much space to house more/additional females though. They could also be sent seperately to two different zoos.

5. I imagine London will keep Alika as a future breeding female, giving them a mother/daughter unit and additional female. There seems no reason for her to leave ZSL.

8. The Hedgehog

@Pertinax, do you know if Daimian Aspinall has any more ridiculous plans to send some Gorillas back to the wild? Going by the fate of the majority of Djala’s family I hope no other Gorillas are given a death sentence of being released. @Pertinax do you know how Djala and his surviving progeny in Gabon are?

Kind regards @The Hedgehog

9. Pertinax

I have no idea. There are occassional updates on Djala and also his son Djongo on the AF website/Fb pages.

10. The Hedgehog

@Pertinax could any of the Males from Paignton move to London?

11. Pertinax

Your guess is as good as mine.. All three of the younger ones come from well-represented genetic lines but that doesn't necessarily bar them, it seems.

12. MennoPebesma

MennoPebesma Well-Known Member

Apenheul:
    Gyasi has given birth, gender and name are still unknown.

It is the 50th Gorilla Baby born in Apenheul, in the zoo's 50th anniversary.

Gorilla geboren

Pertinax likes this.
  13. Pertinax

Baby born in Berlin recently to Bibi x Sango is female

14. The Hedgehog

@Pertinax do you think any of the Bachelor Gorillas at Paington Zoo will move on? I ask this as it has been years, since any arrivals or departures have taken place. I thought that Paington's role was too be a facility for young Males,until they can move to become breeding males. @Pertinax do you think any Gorillas will arrive at Paington. I do not know about you @Pertinax, but I think that some females may arrive to form a breeding group.

15. john

john Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Then BaoBao will be the sixth male who started breeding at The Apenheul!!!

16. Pertinax

Female Quarta has died at the Basel Zoo. She was 51 years old and the last surviving and fourth offspring of their original breeding pair Stefi & Achilla. Further details on ZooBasel website and Zoochat threads.

17. Pepe

Pepe Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Balu + Bongo + Kibabu + Jambo + Bao bao + ?????

18. john

Yes, Bongo is the first one, then Balu, Kibabu. The fifth will be Jambo, the sixth breeding male BaoBao.

19. john

And the fourth will be Lukas.

20. Pertinax

I can't find any listing that shows any baby for Lukas at Apenheul ?- only after he moved to Tel Aviv. Balu had just one before he moved to La Palmyre- that was 'Dibo' who was bitten in the head and suffered brain-damage- I think he was euthanased when adult.