Join our zoo community

MY ALL in One question topics

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by zoomania18, 17 Feb 2011.

1. tetrapod

tetrapod Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Argument lost some it's impact by showing the photo with the white tiger...

2. Gulo gulo

Gulo gulo Well-Known Member

We get it. You like Singapore Zoo and Night Safari, a lot. We can even tell you're fascinated by tigers. Adding threads every few days on the same thing in general zoo discussion is redundant and spamming. Please be considerate and form a single thread. Spamming like this does nothing. We get that your infatuated with tigers and singapore zoo and night safari. Adding threads asking the same thing over and over with some new information is nothing new.

3. temp

temp Well-Known Member

4. tetrapod

tetrapod Well-Known Member 15+ year member

They are both amazing photos. There are a number of very good looking tiger exhibits in Scandinavian zoos, making good use of the natural montane surrounds.

5. zoomania18

zoomania18 Well-Known Member

HI EVERYONE, MODS and etc, this is my final topics and threads. I would like to ask all the question that i wanted to ask in here. Can mods help delete the previous topics that i create. Ok let carry on. The few question that i am going to ask is, 1. which zoo have some of the best exhibit for lion, tiger, leopard, jaguar and puma. 2. Is it possible for zoo exhibits to be cageless or fenceless?? 3. Is it possible for landscape designer to replicate /copy the actual habitats (places) of those animal and make it a reality in zoo exhibit.??? Like in hamadryas baboon exhibit of Singapore zoo, the zookeeper in singapore specially went there to study the natural habitats of baboon and recreate into their baboon exhibit. 4. Which zoo have the viewing of tiger /lion in restaurant concept where we can watch the lion or tiger while we were eating. 5. Which zoo beside singapore zoo focus all their exhibit on moat exhibit /open concept. Hope everyone can help on the 5 last question

6. azcheetah2

azcheetah2 Well-Known Member

Since there's a lot of us out there and nobody has seen every single zoo out there, you will likely get multiple answers for your first question. For #2 it is possible, but only for certain animals. At my home zoo, the Lemurs and Siamangs live on islands so there's no cage or fence. You can't keep most carnivores without a fence or cage, especially the larger ones like lions and tigers. #3...yes, many zoos do actually try to more accurately replicate an animal's natural environment, but the exhibit designer may not have the resources from the zoo they've been hired by to go to Japan or Australia so they probably rely on Internet images. #4 you've already gotten answers from your question you already asked. #5. There's quite a few American zoos that have a moat design for some of their exhibits, the Phoenix Zoo and San Diego Wild Animal Park (aka Safari Park) are two examples. At the Phoenix Zoo, the Cheetahs and African Painted Dogs have a water moat and the Lions and Spotted Hyenas have a dry moat.

7. Mr. Zootycoon

Mr. Zootycoon Well-Known Member 5+ year member

In addition, in Western Europe there are Burgers' zoo and
    ZOOM Gelsenkirchen which both have almost only open enclosures/moats/
    ecodisplays etc. Burgers' does have an additional bird secton.

Dozens of zoos have this concept not their entire zoo,
    but in most/many of their enclosures, like Duisburg, Köln, Overloon etc,
    but when the zoo houses aggressive or very vulnerable bird species, aviaries/cages are necessary, so you can't have a complete
    'open-enclosure zoo'.

8. MRJ

MRJ Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

Moat, wire, wall etc does not matter much to the animals. Moats make us as humans feel good about the exhibit but there are plenty of substandard moated enclosures around which are not very satisfactory from the animal welfare perspective.

9. tschandler71

tschandler71 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I know Birmingham and Dallas's plans for their Safari exhibits (Trails/Giants) both called for night safari/later opening hours in their plans with something called "simulated moonlight". As hot as both those cities can get in the Summer it would be a great idea to implement.

10. Zooplantman

Zooplantman Well-Known Member

As you ae becoming excited about zoo design but are unaware of what zoo designers have been doing for the past 40 years, perhaps reading the following will interest you:
    A Different Nature - David Hancocks - Paperback - University of California Press
    Bibliography of Professional Zoo Papers
    Designing Zoos | Connection through design
    http://www.zoochat.com/38/does-anyone-know-best-book-enclosure-207177/

Also search Zoochat for the many previous threads where your interests have already been discussed, such as
    http://www.zoochat.com/2/what-makes-tiger-exhibit-great-265497/
    http://www.zoochat.com/2/what-makes-great-exhibit-great-exhibit-242432/
    http://www.zoochat.com/2/getting-zoo-exhibit-designer-219190/
    and there are many more

Last edited: 31 Dec 2015
  11. zoomania18

Is zoo a horrible place for animal???

How do you guys think of zoo in general??? Some people dont like zoo as they think it is a prison for animal??? Personally i think the owner/CEO of the zoo is pretty more focus on making more money for themselves . Rather than putting animal interest into their list. As you all may know, most animal will be in their night dens / holding area most of their time, they (animal) will only be release in their enclosure/exhibit for a few hours if i am not wrong!!! Share with us what is your opinion on zoo

12. Mr. Zootycoon

Mr. Zootycoon Well-Known Member 5+ year member

You are wrong.

At least, in most of the modern zoos. Please do some more
    research before you start posting about a subject.
    Many animals can choose where to go all of their time.
    And do not forget night enclosures are supposed to sleep in,
    And frankly, that is exactly what most zoo animals do at night.
    Besides, many night enclosures are not that small.

13. Zooplantman

Zooplantman Well-Known Member

This is a forum for zoo fanciers.
    Seems like a very odd post

14. zoomania18

I know this post is abit weird tho :rolleyes: there are always some common conceptions that people have about zoo. That causes ppl to hate zoo. Me myself also a animal lover and zoo lover. I hope i can become a exhibit designer and maybe landscapes designer. :D

15. wensleydale

wensleydale Well-Known Member

It seems like we get something in this vein every few months. One variation or another of "are zoos good or bad for x species."

It's ironic that that the news thread gives us accusations of cruelty at this zoo or that zoo every month or so because most of the stuff I learned about animal welfare and how to act towards (get along with) members of other species was learned at the zoo.

16. zoomania18

Top ten zoo in the world (2015)

Hi everyone, hope you guys can share what is your own personal top ten zoo in the world based on your experience, personal preferences and etc. I know there are top ten zoo in the world rankings list by TripAdvisor, but i prefer seeing /hearding you guys opinions/comment compare to theirs. Because you all are more professional and expert in zoo stuff. So your answer is more ~.accurate. If possible, state out the zoo name, follow by the whole enclosure /exhibit that the zoo you stated famous for.

17. jbnbsn99

jbnbsn99 Well-Known Member

I've merged all your threads together. You're welcome.

18. zoomania18

Everyone please share your own top zoo ranking of the world.

19. zoomania18

Zoo exhibits design and landscape you like seeing in zoo

As above stated, what type/kind of displayed style you prefer? 1. Glass enclosure. 2.open concept exhibit/open aired enclosure 3.predator and prey concepts 4.mixed species concept. 5.other, please specify. If there are some exhibits/displayed style i miss out please let me know. Thanks. Ps where is my poll :confused::confused:

Last edited: 4 Jan 2016
  20. Batto

Batto Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Don't expect any thankfulness or any other sight of positive acknowledgement by user "zoomania18". Manners maketh man...:rolleyes: