Join our zoo community

North American Asian Elephant Institutions

Discussion in 'North America - General' started by Elephant Enthusiast, 7 Feb 2018.

1. Elephant Enthusiast

Elephant Enthusiast Well-Known Member

That's very true. When the Denver Zoo acquired Groucho, Bodhi, and Billy, the plan was to train these bulls for semen collection so they may participate in reproduction of Asian elephants through artificial insemination. Unfortunately, there has been no recent news on whether AI collection procedures are still being performed at the Denver Zoo. If anyone has public information on the matter, that would be greatly appreciated on the thread.

2. Echobeast

Echobeast Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Groucho is trained to stay in an elephant restraint device (ERD) for various procedures. Keeper said semen collection is possible due to Groucho’s willingness to train in the ERD but it wasn’t happening at the time. If it were to happen, it probably wouldn’t be public information. The option is open though.

3. Yassa

Yassa Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Urg. I really feel that A.I. is the bane of the elephant SSP's. It is used to justify terrible management decisions and inactivity- like moving proven, underrepresented bulls into bachelor groups or keeping them with non-breeding females (Dahlip, Ranchipur, Billy, Sneezy...), and not moving fertile females to zoos with a suitable bull. Because, you know, A.I.

But apparently A.I. is too complicated/expensive to perform regularly, with the result that females that reproduce with A.I. only never have normal birth intervals of 3-5 years. They have one calf, and maybe a second many years later, but never the 6+ calves a healthy female can raise during her reproductive life. Both populations of elephants in North America desperately need every calf they can get, but they are just not born due to terrible management and A.I. procedures that are theoretically possible but just.dont.happen.

Hyak_II, AmbikaFan and Jaxton like this.
  4. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Does anyone know anything about the elephants at Circus World Museum in Baraboo, Wisconsin? I know they spend the winter at another facility, I am just not sure what facility that is or what the elephant's names are.

5. Elephant Enthusiast

Even though I don’t have much information on the elephants at Circus World Museum in Baraboo, Wisconsin, I have my speculations on which elephants reside at this facility based on the following source: Elephant loose in residential Baraboo neighborhood - Channel3000

The news report states that the elephant that escaped from Circus World Museum was named Kelly and the only elephant, to my knowledge, who has that name is 0.1 Kelly 1970-00-00 from Carson & Barnes Circus in Hugo, Oklahoma.

Based on that information alone, I speculate that Circus World Museum and Carson & Barnes Circus have some sort of affiliation. Based on speculation, I believe the elephants owned by Carson & Barnes Circus are also owned by or rented to Circus World Museum. During the warmer months, the elephants reside in Baraboo, Wisconsin while, during the colder months, the elephants reside in Hugo, Oklahoma.

Because Circus World Museum and Carson & Barnes Circus both have an elephant named Kelly, I would believe the following elephants may also reside at Circus World Museum:

1.0 Hugo (Tommy x Whimpy) 2011-04-25
    0.1 Minnie 1948-00-00
    0.1 Zola 1965-00-00
    0.1 Isla 1968-00-00
    0.1 Tracy 1970-00-00
    0.1 Isa 1970-00-00
    0.1 Kelly 1970-00-00
    0.1 Chang 1972-00-00
    0.1 Becky 1972-00-00
    0.1 Lulu 1975-00-00
    0.1 Val (Tommy x Whimpy) 2007-04-27

Unfortunately, I don’t have any primary sources to prove my theory but I believe this speculation may be true. If anyone has information on elephants residing at Circus World Museum and Carson & Barnes Circus, that would be appreciated.

birdsandbats likes this.
  6. loxodonta

loxodonta Well-Known Member

CB elephants are the primary elephants that are shown in Baraboo

birdsandbats likes this.
  7. Elephant Enthusiast

With the passing of 0.1 Sunda, the Topeka Zoo now has one Asian elephant: 0.1 Cora 1958-00-00 and one African elephant: 0.1 Tembo 1970-00-00.

Because the Topeka Zoo has plans to construct a new elephant habitat for African elephants, the future of the current elephant program at the Topeka Zoo is uncertain. From a logistical standpoint, the Topeka Zoo should relocate Cora and Tembo to a zoo, one that provides for the care and husbandry of older elephants, or a sanctuary. Cora and Tembo should be able to socialize with elephants of the same species. The relocation of Cora and Tembo will enable the Topeka Zoo to construct the new elephant habitat and to obtain a herd of African elephants. Once the new elephant habitat is constructed, the Topeka Zoo could either acquire a group of post reproductive African elephants, similar to the one at the Cleveland Metroparks Zoo, or a matriarchal herd of African elephants along with a breeding bull.

Ultimately, the Topeka Zoo should phase out their Asian/African elephant program by relocating Cora and Tembo to a zoo or sanctuary and acquire a herd of African elephants once the new elephant habitat is complete.

Last edited: 12 Sep 2018
  8. AmbikaFan

AmbikaFan Well-Known Member

There is considerable overlap in individuals between both of these groups and the Endangered Ark Foundation.

9. Zoo-n-ski

Zoo-n-ski New Member

10. elefante

elefante Well-Known Member 10+ year member

About damn time.

Mai Thai likes this.
  11. Yi Qi

Yi Qi Well-Known Member

Update: At ALS, there are two new calves fathered by Johnson while at OKC Asha has a baby (don't know her name).

On a more negative note, Sujatha at Santa Barbara has been euthanized yesterday, leaving Little Mac SB's only elephant.

12. AmbikaFan

13. Elephant Enthusiast

14. AmbikaFan

I didn't get my usual alert to this, so thank you for the reference. Emily usually cycles very closely with Lilly and Opal, but with George's chemical castration, there is no male unrelated to Emily on the premises to breed her to. I wonder if they are counting on AI, going back to this issue raised above. Charlie Gray told me he planned to get an unrelated male from Europe to breed to all these (now 6!) young ladies, but in the meantime, I wonder what they're doing about Emily.

15. Elephant Enthusiast

Forty eight year old 0.1 Maxine passed away on November 20, 2018 at the Bronx Zoo.
    Maxine, A 48-Year-Old Asian Elephant, Has Been Euthanized at the Bronx Zoo - Newsroom

With the passing of Maxine, the Bronx Zoo now has two Asian elephants: 0.1 Patty 1970-00-00 and 0.1 Happy 1971-00-00. Because the Bronx Zoo has plans to phase out their elephant program once one or more of their elephants pass away, the Bronx Zoo should relocate Patty and Happy to a sanctuary. By transferring Patty and Happy to a sanctuary, it’ll enable the Bronx Zoo to properly phase out their elephant program and provide retirement to Patty and Happy. In addition, it’ll provide Patty and Happy with enhanced social and spatial opportunities. The Elephant Sanctuary in Hohenwald, Tennessee, and the Elephant Refuge North America in Attapulgus, Georgia, are ideal candidates given the close proximity and exceptional husbandry care. The Performing Animal Welfare Society in San Andreas, California, is another potential candidate however the distance is quite far but the sanctuary provides outstanding care and a suitable environment. For years, Happy has been isolated from the other elephants for her own protection. Furthermore, with the passing of Maxine, Patty no longer has a compatible herd mate. Ultimately, the Bronx Zoo should retire Patty and Happy to a sanctuary to provide them with enhanced social dynamics and improved spatial opportunities.

Last edited: 21 Nov 2018
  16. TinoPup

TinoPup Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Would a sanctuary have the room for an elephant that likely needs to be kept alone?

17. John Marchwick

John Marchwick Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I would think so. U would think a sanctuary could a handle this word of thing?

18. Elephant Enthusiast

Absolutely! Elephant sanctuaries, such as the Performing Animal Welfare Society & The Elephant Sanctuary, have ample space for an elephant to be kept apart from the other elephants. However, sanctuaries only ever isolate elephants when they initially arrive at a sanctuary (acclimation process) or when they have a transmissible disease (quarantine).

In the case of the elephants at the Bronx Zoo, Happy and Patty are both capable to socializing and directly interacting with other elephants, should they be transferred to a sanctuary. Happy has been isolated from other elephants for her own protection while Patty has only ever lived with her former herd mate Maxine. In a zoo, elephants don't have enough space to get away from other elephants when conflicts arise. For that reason, many zoos keep their elephants apart. However, in a sanctuary, elephants have acres to roam and it’s their choice whether to interact with the other elephants that share the same habitat. Ultimately, Happy and Patty would significantly benefit from a life of retirement as sanctuaries provide enhanced social dynamics and improved spatial opportunities.

TinoPup likes this.
  19. elefante

elefante Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I bet Happy could be socialized. I don't understand why she was never relocated to begin with.

Elephant Enthusiast likes this.
  20. Dyl0526

Dyl0526 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Buttonwood park zoo has plans to improve their elephant exhibit to make it suitable for the elephants. Once they pass one they have plans to replace them with Indian rhinos.

Elephant Enthusiast likes this.