Join our zoo community

San Diego Zoo San Diego: The Perfect Zoo?

Discussion in 'United States' started by ThylacineAlive, 3 Jul 2018.

1. mweb08

mweb08 Well-Known Member

I was talking more about the animals, but if you're arguing that a 77 degree high with little humidity can be considered worse heat than 86 with high humidity then clearly it's not worth discussing this any further with you guys.

I am fine also having a discussion comparing both zoos when they're optimal. I figured this was either something that some people just don't care about or would be a pretty easy concession to get, but apparently not.

2. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

um, okay then.

3. mweb08

mweb08 Well-Known Member

Seriously, how am I supposed to proceed with someone that won't admit that 77 with little humidity is better in terms of having to deal with heat than 86 with high humidity?

4. pachyderm pro

pachyderm pro Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Opinion - a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

5. Chlidonias

I don't know. Maybe just accept that people have different reactions to temperature and humidity. It's pretty simple.

6. jayjds2

jayjds2 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Stop complaining about something neither the zoos nor the people who run them can change?

Anyways, it’s all fun and games until you visit Zoo Miami in July. High 90s, high humidity. Yet, it was one of the best zoo visits I’ve had my whole life.

7. mweb08

mweb08 Well-Known Member

This isn't an opinion. It's literally what is less hard to deal with heat wise. The lower temperature and lower humidity option prevails in that.

If someone or something likes it hotter, that's cool, but that's clearly not what this has been about. When people have been complaining about the heat for polar bears in San Diego, well objectively a higher temperature and higher humidity is worse for that.

8. mweb08

mweb08 Well-Known Member

I'm not complaining. I'm saying that animals being in that was designed to be their ideal habitat as well as visible to the public 12 months of the year is better than 8 or 9.

Btw, I was at a zoo today that probably compensates for their weather issues better than any other I've visited (without knowing how each species is handled during the colder months). That zoo is Henry Doorly. They have excellent indoor enclosures that make up a significant portion of the zoo and especially its highlights, and the indoor elephant and giraffe houses are much better than the norm. So good for them on that.

sooty mangabey likes this.
  9. CGSwans

CGSwans Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I accept that neither San Diego or Bronx can change the climate they’re in, but I fail to see how it’s not a valid factor to consider. Surely one of the things you would take into consideration when trying to build a ‘perfect’ zoo would be an ideal climate?

Bronx does have to shut considerable portions of the zoo over winter: this is one of its greatest weaknesses. San Diego enjoys moderate temperatures - cool but not cold winters, warm but not blisteringly hot summers - and this is one of its great strengths.

To be honest I’m a little surprised at how fraught this debate has gotten. It’s ok for people to not share your opinion on which zoo is better, folks. Nobody’s getting hurt.

10. Chlidonias

I really don't even know what your angle is on this other than "I say it and therefore it is true". You seem (to me) to be swapping between what is "best" for people and animals. For humans it is clearly dependent on the individual person - you're not talking about a huge extreme of range here. For animals, it depends entirely on the individual species - you can't say one temperature/humidity level is "better" than any other "for animals". What is better for a Polar Bear is very clearly not better for a Green Iguana.

11. mweb08

mweb08 Well-Known Member

I've been responding to claims that San Diego is so much worse than The Bronx in terms of heat for animals like polar bears.

But hey, if you prefer touring a zoo when it's 86 and very humid over 77 and not humid, you'd be the first person I've ever encountered that feels that way, so congrats?

12. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Bronx no longer keeps Polar Bears and has no plans to do so again????

I think it's important to point out that the extremely high humidity that @sooty mangabey and others have been experiencing is not the norm for up here and has been part of an extremely humid heat wave hitting the entire country. Yes San Diego is less humid than New York and that is objective, but literally no one has claimed otherwise and it's not usually THIS humid. Besides, when Bronx did have a bear it was kept in an enclosure that was shaded on almost all sides by either trees or a large natural rock formation, which I think makes a big difference as oppose to be kept mostly in direct sunlight.

I feel as though you think I'm avoiding talking about Bronx's criticisms but the reason I'm not commenting so much on Bronx and its strengths/weaknesses is because this thread isn't about Bronx. Trust me, I have been very, very tempted to post paragraphs about why I think Bronx is by-far the better zoo and by-far my favorite zoo but I don't want this thread to be Bronx v San Diego. I'm not the one who keeps comparing the two here, and the majority (probably entirety, idk I've made a lot of posts in a short time on this thread) of my discussion about the place has been in response to others bringing it up. Which is fine, Bronx is the zoo that very often (probably most often on the American forum?) gets compared and contrasted with SDZ so I have no problem with people discussing them both. But as I said before, this thread's purpose is not to compare the Bronx Zoo, or any other zoo, to SDZ or to come to a conclusion about what zoo is "the best". I made this thread because I've never understood the wide-spread, imo almost blinding, love for SDZ and now having visited for myself I understand it even less. I've also noticed a lot of posts across the forum where people praise the place but very few times actually get into why. I wanted to understand these opinions and get people to explain the why, and as such I made this thread. For all our bickering and squabbling I do have a bit of a better understanding now, and I'd love to go deeper into it all. I'm also using this as a platform to share my own thoughts and opinions about the place, and to see what others have to say in response.

DISCLAIMER: My upcoming post does do a great deal of comparing SDZ and Bronx, but I want to make it perfectly clear that I'm only doing so because of all the comments and comparisons others have been making about these two in regards to the topic.

~Thylo

13. Chlidonias

I'm not sure you've even understood the point of my posts, which were solely about subjectivity versus objectivity. You simply keep circling back around to sounding offended that your statements aren't just agreed upon as being absolutely true.

14. mweb08

mweb08 Well-Known Member

Yes, I get what you're trying to say. I'm not sure you understand what more hot means.

15. mweb08

mweb08 Well-Known Member

Tylcochine...

My comment has nothing to do whether The Bronx currently holds polar bears. I'm simply stating that San Diego's weather for polar bears isn't as bad as being portrayed here. I'm getting this pushback that San Diego is worse for heat ( and roughly equally as bad in general regardless of species and their temp preference) for animals that don't like heat, and that's just not the case in terms of which gets worse during the summer.

16. snowleopard

snowleopard Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

You are correct that the weather is absolutely a valid factor to consider and the southern California climate right on the coast makes San Diego a clear winner over a zoo like the Bronx that has to shut animals in during a cold winter. Let's consider a specific example and the Giraffe House at the New York facility:

Bronx Zoo - Giraffe House | ZooChat

Another image of the same interior:

Baringo Giraffes | ZooChat

Outdoor giraffe exhibit at the Bronx Zoo:

Bronx Zoo - Giraffe Paddock | ZooChat

San Diego has taken a lot of flak, including from me, in regards to their poor giraffe exhibit and here is an image of part of the enclosure:

Masai Giraffe/Soemmerring's Gazelle Exhibit | ZooChat

Giraffe barn at San Diego Zoo:

Masai Giraffe/Soemmerring's Gazelle Barn | ZooChat

Now, which is the better exhibit? The spacious, lush paddock at the Bronx Zoo is far more memorable than the tiny, sandy San Diego yard...BUT if one were to analyze the two exhibits by looking at them over the course of 365 days then which is the best? If the giraffes in New York are kept inside for months at a time then I'd vote for San Diego as its beautiful climate means that the giraffes are more than likely outside and in perfect weather every single day. The weather is a crucial factor when researching zoos.

{Note - discussion about best zoos in the US split to here: Top 5 zoos in the USA}

Last edited by a moderator: 19 Jul 2018
  17. StoppableSan

StoppableSan Well-Known Member 5+ year member

If I may insert my two cents, I would like to say that my definition of a perfect zoo is one that engages visitors, is big enough for the animals but is easy to traverse in 8 hours, has relatively effortless viewing of animals (through well-placed mesh, harp wire, or glass if done correctly), animal exhibits somewhat reflect their natural habitat/provides privacy/optimum viewing, etc. San Diego perfectly fits these criteria in my book (save for when the sun hits the already visible mesh on the bird/primate exhibits, and there is glare on the glass i.e. Dwarf Crocodiles in Africa Rocks). One zoo that fits ALL the criteria and is consistently excellent in terms of exhibitry/engaging visitors is... the Sedgwick County Zoo. This zoo (as brilliantly documented by @geomorph, @m30t and @snowleopard) has amazing exhibits for animals from all walks of life (save for polar animals). They display unique ecosystems with charismatic animals (Congo Bai for gorillas, North American Prairie for bison/pronghorn/wolf/elk/bear/otter/eagle/herps/etc., Zambezi River for elephants, the works), have habitats that are more than sufficient and downright stellar for their inhabitants, and even their average exhibits (amur leopard, African Veldt) still hold up beautifully. (To be fair, this was the vision of Ron Blakely, one of the finest zoo directors next to Gary Clarke and Bill Conway, among others). Ron Blakely's vision (alongside architects and curators) still stands the test of time. Even the meshed areas (such as for orangutans/South American animals) are quite visible/easy to see through. These are some of the many reasons as to why the Sedgwick County Zoo is the perfect Zoo in my book. (To be fair, most animals don't get to be outside in the winter like San Diego, and the Veldt building is severely dated. The yards stand the test of time).

amur leopard likes this.
  18. geomorph

geomorph Well-Known Member 10+ year member Premium Member

There are some aspects of San Diego Zoo's perceived dominance that are not as obvious as the sizes of exhibits or the varieties of snakes, but help to form the 'glue' of the greater experience.

The botanical collection is remarkable, and varied enough to compliment the different areas of the zoo. There are locals who seem to specifically visit for the flora, treating a stroll through the zoo as that of a garden, and actively reading species identification signs.

Speaking of gardens, the zoo is situated in the larger Balboa Park, and many visitors begin or end their zoo visits by strolling through the park's own botanical collections and past the museums and theaters housed in Spanish Revival-style buildings (which is also the style of the zoo's own Reptile House). The association of the zoo with the park strengthens its genius loci.

The terrain of mesas and canyons, and the variety of twisting paths that connect them, supplies an interesting adventure in itself. Getting lost (slightly) can be part of the fun of a visit and an escape from the nearby urban grids.

One means of traveling the width of the property is the Skyfari, a gondola ride that ascends high above the twisting paths below. The views of the zoo as well as the park and downtown (and very close flight path of the airport!) are memorable for many visitors.

Adding to the kinetic variety of traveling in the grounds is the Bus tour and Kangaroo (hop-on/hop-off) bus route that circles much of the zoo. Since a large proportion of visitors utilize the vehicles, they are exposed to the informed human interface of a partial guided tour or orientation. Experiencing this with a sizable crowd creates the sense that this is a place where people want to be and is a worthwhile destination.

It could be said that the typical crowds that visit this zoo are numerous on many days and contribute to the perceived excitement of touring the grounds. Those crowds have paid a premium for entry and thus many fellow visitors want to be there and are appreciative of the experience.

Some of the crowds are locals who are passionate about the zoo and are members of the zoological society. There is a culture in this city of supporting the zoo. Rubbing shoulders with these other passionate visitors increases the chances of overhearing informed comments and shared interests, strengthening the experience.

Most visitors already know or find out quickly that the zoo has a sister facility, San Diego Zoo Safari Park, in the same county. The association of operating a whole other facility, and that both support a web of field conservation, is another perceptive boost to visitor's enjoyment of the zoo, even if they don't drive out to Escondido.

While several of these factors can be argued to exist at some other zoos, the extent is great in San Diego and may support some of the arguments that point to its superiority without measuring the square footage of its habitats or the angle of reflection of its reptile terrariums.

twilighter, Brum, DevinL and 3 others like this.
  19. Rayane

Rayane Well-Known Member 5+ year member

This thread is becoming more and more distracting. I enjoy reading it and I learn some interesting stuff about the topic, which is San Diego Zoo, but all these “ego fights” or “I’m right you’re wrong” discussions, come on...

There is no such things as an overall number 1 zoo as everyone has its own criterias.
    I didn’t like a good part of the exhibits in San Diego Zoo. Like in pretty much every zoo i visit. But on the other hand, some are just masterpieces in my opinion. The Walkthrough aviaries, the waterfowl aviary in the polar bear area for example.
    Then the collection stands up for itself and the landscape / folliage in some parts of the zoo are incredible and provide all the shade you may need in southern California during a hot summer.
    I need to go but I just wanted to give my opinion on the subject. I enjoyed San Diego Zoo. I would visit it again, I do not know how I would place it on a list.

I honnestly think that there is no perfect zoo anywhere, maybe perfect exhibits. You can always find negative things and positive things.

20. snowleopard

snowleopard Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

Why is San Diego Zoo America's best zoo? Let me count the ways...

Birds
    - This is the best zoo in America for birds. Scripps Aviary is a thick, dense, jungle-like aviary that has multiple boardwalks cruising through it. Owens Aviary is just as overwhelming, Parker Aviary is smaller but worthwhile, and the 23 Australasian Aviaries are lushly planted and showcase a diverse collection of birds that is unmatched anywhere in the nation. There are enormous bird of prey aviaries, flamingo pools with various other waterfowl, and then seemingly an aviary around every nook and cranny of the zoo. With 300 species this zoo is a bird-mecca for all visitors.

Reptiles & Amphibians - This is the best zoo in America for reptiles and amphibians, and I’m not sure if any other zoo besides Fort Worth even comes close. The 1930s-era Reptile House, with 50 spacious terrariums, is the solitary animal building in the park, but it has wide open hallways so it is not really enclosed and contains a fantastic set of cold-blooded animals. The outdoor enclosures are awesome, with a huge gharial pool that contains numerous turtle species, plus nearby are iguanas and other lizards in massive habitats and many enormous Galapagos tortoises in huge yards. Including the Reptile Walk and various vivariums spread across the zoo, this facility is a must-see for reptiles and amphibians.

Botanical Garden - The zoo is a lushly planted paradise, with stunning palm trees around each and every corner. San Diego is surely the best looking zoo in North America, and Fern Canyon Trail epitomizes just how impressive the botanical collection is. If all of the animals were to magically disappear in the blink of an eye, there could easily be an admission fee just to tour the stunning tropical gardens.

Marquee Species - How many zoos on the planet have giant pandas? How many zoos have giant pandas AND koalas? How many zoos have giant pandas, koalas, Tasmanian devils, bonobos, polar bears, sun bears, etc, etc. At San Diego they actually breed giant pandas and sun bears, and there aren't a couple of mangy koalas in a glass tank but 20 of them in outdoor exhibits. Brilliant!

Underwater Viewing - San Diego is the best zoo in the USA for the spectacular underwater viewing opportunities that are tremendous for visitors. From polar bears to common hippos, slender-snouted crocodiles to African dwarf crocodiles, penguins and sharks swimming together, otters, pygmy hippos and even an Arctic aviary...what zoo can top that list for underwater viewing?

Primates - San Diego, yet again, is the best zoo in America in another category. There are approximately 25 primate species and for the most part the exhibits are top-notch and superb for both the inhabitants and visitors. Massive viewing windows look into modern habitats for orangutans, bonobos and gorillas, plus there is a bewildering list of monkeys in the almost impenetrable Lost Forest section of the zoo. Africa Rocks has recently added several more species to the zoo and San Diego is a primate paradise.

Ungulates - The zoo has seen its hoofstock collection dwindle in comparison to what it used to have, but how many American zoos have 30 ungulate species? It's difficult to design a poor ungulate exhibit as many zoos have basic paddocks and San Diego does have some 1960s-era enclosures still in existence but they are by no means poor. Overall, the breadth of the collection is amongst the best of any major zoo in the nation.

Australian Animals - Most American zoos have a handful of wallabies, a kookaburra stuck in a small metal cage and not much else when it comes to Aussie animals other than a few straggly emus. San Diego has its koalas, Tassie devils, macropods and an astonishing array of birds that are rarely exhibited in other American zoos. San Diego is easily one of the best zoos in the country for Australian animals.

Carnivores - How many major zoos in the USA have approximately 25 species that would fit into this category? From large bears to big cats to smaller critters, San Diego has an extensive collection of carnivores.

Invertebrates - There are perhaps 15-20 exhibits in the small Insect House in the current Children's Zoo area and while that might not seem like much it is enough to probably put San Diego into the Top 10 major zoos in the nation for invertebrates.

Restaurants - I've eaten at just about every location at San Diego Zoo, from the elite Albert's Restaurant up in the treetops to the various food eateries that are near the entrance. Elephant Odyssey and Panda Trek even have their own restaurants/cafes and San Diego is surely a candidate for the best zoo in America for food facilities.

Gift Shops - I like gift shops and the two big ones near the main entrance are enormous at San Diego Zoo. I've got 4 young kids and to be able to have a choice selection of souvenirs is fantastic. I'm sounding like a broken record at this point, but the zoo is clearly once again one of the best in the nation in yet another category.

Entrance - A behemoth of a parking lot gives way to a beautiful entrance with a large plaza and a $1.7 million, world-class statue of 'Rex' the lion making it well-known that all visitors are entering hallowed ground. It is an EVENT to visit the San Diego Zoo and the entrance is stunning.

Skyfari Ride – This is a gondola-style ride that transports visitors from one end of the zoo to the other. It is a fascinating overview that provides a birds-eye view of many off-exhibit areas, and if you are lucky you can spot herds of hoofstock that are not on show. The paddocks that are behind the scenes are almost all larger than what the public see from the visitor pathways, and it is exciting to travel over the enormous aviaries and gaze down on the gorillas in their rocky habitat. It is possibly the best ride to be found at any American zoo.

Climate - A balmy, gorgeous, downright stunning climate of 300+ sunny days per year means that San Diego is practically bereft of animal houses and pavilions. Who needs them when the weather is incredible almost every day of the year?

History - A crucial category and one that many European zoos rest their laurels on. San Diego is proud of its illustrious history and even as far back as the 1920s it had one of the most extensive captive animal collections on the planet. San Diego has regularly produced a monthly magazine for decades and there are articles referencing past events and there is an acknowledgment of where the zoo has been and in what direction it is going.

Books - I own hundreds of zoo books and San Diego is one of the rare handful of zoos in America that publishes a semi-regular guidebook every few years. There are also glossy, magazine-style books on new exhibits (Panda Trek, Elephant Odyssey, etc.) and the centennial double-volume is the greatest zoo history publication I've seen in my lifetime. San Diego is the best zoo in America for literature. Even its free zoo maps are fantastic, with colourful animal images and detailed pathways and loops clearly indicated. Not all of the exhibits can be placed on a map as the zoo has thousands of animals, but those easily obtained maps are a work of art all by themselves.

Community Spirit - This is a vital category as the zoo has enormously wealthy benefactors and local philanthropists that have aided in the evolution of the zoo into a truly beloved worldwide attraction. Do you need $70 million for Africa Rocks? Sure! Oh, another $70 million for the new Children's Zoo? Done! After that there will be another $70 million for some other project as the zoo continually reinvents its greatness.

Conservation - Quoting a 'ZOONOOZ' magazine article, between 2012-2015 "San Diego Zoo Global has committed more than $500 million for animal care, exhibits, education programs and conservation initiatives. Significant programs include its ongoing work to recover the California condor, head-starting and reintroduction programs for Caribbean iguanas, contribution to knowledge about giant pandas and support for fieldwork on six continents." Over 8,000 organizations were surveyed by the organization 'Charity Navigator' and San Diego Zoo Global received a 4-star rating for its conservation initiatives and that is something that is achieved by only 10-12% of all institutions.

Other than perhaps Omaha and Saint Louis, both of which have rapidly improved in the past 20 years, I'm not sure that any other American zoo comes remotely close to achieving the greatness of San Diego. The zoo is an icon and it is the best in the nation in numerous categories. Even if its detractors argue that perhaps San Diego is not #1 for birds (for example) then even those critics would agree that the facility is amongst the best in that specific category. I have up until now not even mentioned its sister establishment (San Diego Zoo Safari Park) which I would rank as one of the Top 10 zoos in America. Wow!

Anteaterman, Brum, Echobeast and 2 others like this.