Join our zoo community

The Zoochat Photographic Guide to Rodents: part one

Discussion in 'Wildlife & Nature Conservation' started by Chlidonias, 12 Aug 2018.

1. Vision

Vision Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Loving the thread so far!

I have pictures of what I think are at least 2 Hylopetes species (I identified them as lepidus and winstoni back then, but I don't know if they're easy to identify) from a bird market in Malang that I will upload this evening.
    I also have some dark but decent shots of a Tamiasciurus hudsonicus from Algonquin Provincial Park last year, of which I'm not sure which subspecies they are (haven't found a range map or range description for the many subspecies so far) but which I could also upload if they turn out to be one not represented yet.

Chlidonias likes this.
  2. AWP

AWP Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I looked up my squirrel photos of Costa Rica and found photos of Sciurus granatensis hoffmanni and S. variegatoides rigidus, but as I wrote before, quality is quite poor (I decided to buy a new camera afterwards because of this). I saw two other subspecies of Variegated Squirrel, dorsalis and the non-represented underwoodi, but failed to get a decent photo.

A photo of a Red Squirrel from the forests near Saint Petersburg is now in the gallery. I'm not sure which subspecies of Sciurus vulgaris it is: S. v. fedjushini that lives in the Baltic States or S. v. formosovi from the northwest of Russia.

Chlidonias likes this.
  3. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

underwoodi is on some range maps for Costa Rica, but other sources don't include it within Costa Rican subspecies at all. I think that tail-end of its range is one of those debatable situations where different authors consider it to be from different subspecies. In the case of it not being included in Costa Rica I think that bit of the country is probably covered as thomasi, or maybe a merging of that and dorsalis.

4. Chlidonias

This is where the Red Squirrel is tricky (to put it mildly) because there is little agreement on subspecies limits. I've listed the 23 subspecies recognised by Wilson and Reeder, but there is a huge range of opinion on it. If going with the 17-subspecies model, which is also quite common, neither fedjushini or formosovi would be recognised. Then the St. Petersburg animals would probably be S. v. vulgaris, although some would argue that they would be S. v. fuscoater instead because it's right around where the two subspecies meet. And, of course, there are actually no barriers between most of the subspecies, they are just parts of a continuous range with divisions somewhat arbitrarily marked on a map.

AWP likes this.
  5. Vision

Vision Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Heh, didn't know this so now my previous post sounds a bit silly! I have no idea how I drew that conclusion in 2016 then. I suppose bartelsi would already make a lot more sense :p

Either way, I have now uploaded the aforementioned pictures to the gallery, though I'm not sure if they'll be useful!

Chlidonias likes this.
  6. AWP

AWP Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I used the subspecies map in the mammal field guide of Wainwright to identify the different types of Variegated Squirrel during my trip in Costa Rica.

7. Mr. Zootycoon

Mr. Zootycoon Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Do you know if all the red squirrels in the Pyrenees are alpinus?

8. Chlidonias

I'll see what I can do with regards to an ID. I'll probably end up just using them as an illustration of the genus, rather than an exact species.

Vision likes this.
  9. Chlidonias

I'm not sure of where alpinus (Pyrenean) meets fuscoater (Central European) because it would vary with author (and which subspecies that author recognises), but in general yes.

Mr. Zootycoon likes this.
  10. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

To complicate matters further, incidentally, the 17-subspecies model synonymises cinerea and fuscoater, but retains the latter name despite the fact that if they are deemed identical this is a junior synonym of the former name :p

So all the mentions of fuscoater in this thread should theoretically say cinerea.

Chlidonias likes this.
  11. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Actually in Wisconsin.

Chlidonias likes this.
  12. Chlidonias

That's a good point which I overlooked. What I've done is (re)labelled them as "cinerea [fuscoater]". Red Squirrels really are complicated beasts.

13. birdsandbats

Are all/most melanisitc Gray Squirrels S.c. pennsylvanicus or do they occur in all subspecies?

14. Chlidonias

No, any subspecies. Melanism is very common in squirrels.

15. birdsandbats

Yes. I see almost as many black squirrels as I do gray squirrels. But I know many melanisitc gray squirrel populations come from introduced individuals, so I wasn't sure.

By the way, I think I now have a picture of a melanisitc S.c. hypophaeus that I could upload if you need more melanistic squirrel pictures.

16. Chlidonias

No, one melanistic squirrel looks exactly like any other melanistic squirrel of the same species.

birdsandbats likes this.
  17. Chlidonias

The subfamily Callosciurinae contains about 70 species in fourteen genera: Callosciurus, Dremomys, Exilisciurus, Funambulus, Glyphotes, Hyosciurus, Lariscus, Menetes, Nannosciurus, Prosciurillus, Rhinosciurus, Rubrisciurus, Sundasciurus, Tamiops.

This subfamily is exclusively Asian in distribution, with the majority of the species coming from southeast Asia. The species total is pretty well established, but even so there are occasional additions due to genetics-based splitting.

There are 31 species depicted here, from nine genera: Callosciurus, Dremomys, Exilisciurus, Funambulus, Lariscus, Menetes, Prosciurillus, Sundasciurus, Tamiops.

Last edited: 23 Mar 2019
  18. Chlidonias

Callosciurus
    Sixteen species, eight of which are represented in the Zoochat galleries.

Grey-bellied Squirrel Callosciurus caniceps
    Six subspecies: adangensis, bimaculatus, caniceps, casensis, concolor, domelicus

Photo by @LaughingDove in the wild, Thailand (subspecies caniceps)

[​IMG]
    Grey-bellied Squirrel - Baan Maka Chalets | ZooChat

Photo by @Chlidonias in the wild, Peninsular Malaysia (subspecies concolor)

[​IMG]
    Grey-bellied Squirrel (Callosciurus caniceps) | ZooChat

Red-bellied or Pallas' Squirrel Callosciurus erythraeus
    About twenty-six subspecies (but extremely complicated and disputable - it is likely to actually be a species-complex): atrodorsalis, bartoni, bhutanensis, bonhotei, castaneoventris, erythraeus, erythrogaster, flavimanus, gloveri, gordoni, griseimanus, harringtoni, hendeei, hyperythrus, intermedius, michianus, ningpoensis, pranis, rubeculus, shanicus, siamensis, sladeni, styani, thai, thaiwanensis, zimmeensis

Some of the subspecies, in particular flavimanus and griseimanus, probably should be included under C. finlaysonii rather than C. erythraeus. The two species are closely-related and studies of their taxonomic relationships are a complete mess.

Photo by @Hix in the wild, Peninsular Malaysia (subspecies rubeculus)

[​IMG]
    Red-bellied (Pallas') Squirrel | ZooChat

Photo by @Giant Eland in the wild (in the grounds of Taipei Zoo), Taiwan (subspecies thaiwanensis)

[​IMG]
    Pallas's squirrel (Callosciurus erythraeus) wild | ZooChat

Variable or Finlayson's Squirrel Callosciurus finlaysonii
    At least sixteen subspecies (but extremely complicated and disputable): albivexilli, annellatus, bocourti, boonsongi, cinnamomeus, ferrugineus, finlaysonii, folletti, frandseni, germaini, harmandi, menamicus, nox, sinistralis, trotteri, williamsoni

Taxonomic note: there are suggestions that this may be a species complex. The named subspecies are a complete mess - descriptions of colouration versus distribution often do not match up in the wild, single populations well away from human settlements can contain multiple "subspecies" colourations, and apparently individual squirrels can change colour through the year.

The first five photos below were all taken by @Chlidonias in city parks in Bangkok, where pet squirrels from around Thailand are released. The first three are probably all versions of the subspecies C. f. bocourti (Bangkok squirrels are often separated from C. f. bocourti as C. f. floweri but this does not seem justified). The fourth may be one of the northern subspecies which are typically dark red, but it may equally just be a red form of boucourti. The fifth photo, of the all-white squirrel, would be identified as the type-subspecies C. f. finlaysonii (endemic to Si Chang island) if using the Field Guide to the Mammals of South-east Asia by Charles M. Francis, but I suspect white animals can occur in any population.

[​IMG]
    Variable Squirrel (Callosciurus finlaysonii) - ZooChat

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]Variable Squirrel (Callosciurus finlaysonii) - ZooChat

[​IMG]

Photo below by @zoogiraffe at Ponderosa Rural Therapeutic Centre, UK (labelled here and on Zootierliste as being the Pegu (Burma) subspecies ferrugineus, but likely to be the (currently undescribed) Laotian form as depicted in Francis' Field Guide to the Mammals of South-east Asia)

[​IMG]
    Pegu Red Squirrel | ZooChat
    (Another photo by @devilfish here: Callosciurus (finlaysoni) ferrugineus | ZooChat)

Sunda Black-banded Squirrel Callosciurus nigrovittatus
    Four subspecies: bilimitatus, bocki, klossi, nigrovittatus

Photo by @Chlidonias in the wild, Peninsular Malaysia (subspecies bilimitatus)

[​IMG]
    Sunda Black-banded Squirrel (Callosciurus nigrovittatus) | ZooChat

Plantain Squirrel Callosciurus notatus
    Five subspecies: diardii, miniatus, notatus, suffusus, vittatus (plus absolutely masses of synonyms)

Photo by @Chlidonias in the wild (in the grounds of Melaka Zoo), Peninsular Malaysia (subspecies miniatus)

[​IMG]
    plantain squirrel (Callosciurus notatus) | ZooChat

Photo by @Sun Bear in the wild, Singapore (subspecies miniatus), showing the belly colour.

[​IMG]
    Botanical Gardens | ZooChat

Photo by @Hix in the wild, Brunei (subspecies suffusus)

[​IMG]
    Plantain Squirrel | ZooChat

Bornean Black-banded Squirrel Callosciurus orestes
    Monotypic

Photo by @Chlidonias in the wild, Sabah (Malaysian Borneo)

[​IMG]
    Bornean Black-banded Squirrel (Callosciurus orestes) | ZooChat

Last edited: 24 Sep 2022
  19. Chlidonias

Prevost's Squirrel Callosciurus prevostii
    A huge number of subspecies, with over 40 having been named and mostly still in use. I won't list them all here, but you can see all the combinations, plus a distribution map covered in dots representing all the named subspecies here: Callosciurus prevostii (Rodentia: Sciuridae) | Mammalian Species | Oxford Academic

Photo by @ThylacineAlive at Los Angeles Zoo, USA (Bangka subspecies bangkanus)

[​IMG]
    Bangka Prevost's Squirrel | ZooChat

Photo by @Jordan-Jaguar97 at Blackpool Zoo, UK (Sarawak subspecies borneoensis)

[​IMG]
    Prevosts Squirrel at Blackpool Zoo, 20/02/14 | ZooChat

Photo by @Hix in the wild, Brunei (Brunei subspecies caroli)

[​IMG]
    Prevost's Squirrel | ZooChat

Photo by @Chlidonias in the wild, Sabah (Malaysian Borneo) (Sabah subspecies pluto)

[​IMG]
    Prevost's squirrel (Callosciurus prevostii) | ZooChat

Photo by @Hix at Zoo Negara, Malaysia (west Peninsular Malaysian subspecies prevostii)

[​IMG]
    Prevost's Squirrel | ZooChat

Photo by @Joker1706 at Randers Regnskov Tropical Zoo, Denmark (Sumatran subspecies rafflesi)

[​IMG]
    PrevostĀ“s squirrel | ZooChat

Irrawaddy or Hoary-bellied Squirrel Callosciurus pygerythrus
    Seven subspecies: blythii, janetta, lokroides, mearsi, owensi, pygerythrus, stevensi

Photo by @Chlidonias in the wild, India (subspecies blythii)

[​IMG]
    Irrawaddy or Hoary-bellied Squirrel (Callosciurus pygerythrus) | ZooChat

Photo by @Chlidonias in the wild, Burma (Myanmar) (subspecies janetta)

[​IMG]
    Irrawaddy or Hoary-bellied Squirrel (Callosciurus pygerythrus) | ZooChat

KevinVar, ThylacineAlive and AWP like this.
  20. Chlidonias

The remaining species in the genus Callosciurus are not pictured here:

Ear-spot Squirrel Callosciurus adamsi
    Monotypic

Kloss' Squirrel Callosciurus albescens
    Monotypic

Kinabalu Squirrel Callosciurus baluensis
    Monotypic

Hon Khoai Squirrel Callosciurus honkhoaiensis
    Monotypic. This species was only described in 2018 and is known solely from Hon Khoai Island off south Vietnam.

Inornate Squirrel Callosciurus inornatus
    Monotypic

Mentawai Squirrel Callosciurus melanogaster
    Three subspecies: atratus, melanogaster, mentawi

Phayre's Squirrel Callosciurus phayrei
    Monotypic

Anderson's Squirrel Callosciurus quinquestriatus
    Two subspecies: imarius, quinquestriatus

Brum likes this.