Join our zoo community

Tiger Enclosures UK

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by kiyajade, 10 Mar 2015.

1. kiyajade

kiyajade New Member

Hi all,

I am an Animal Science student writing an essay on tiger enclosures. I was wondering if anyone had detailed information on captive tigers in the UK. For example, a lot of zoo websites state that they have Sumatran tigers but do not say how many or whether they are male/female etc...
    I have visited some local zoos (Flamingoland Zoo, Chester, Yorkshire Wildlife Park) but would be very grateful of information further afield. Specifically: Edinburgh, Dartmoor, Paignton, Howlett's and Colchester.

Kiya

2. Campbell89

Campbell89 Well-Known Member

Not sure about Dartmoor, Paignton and Howlett's but I last visited Colchester in November and they had two Amur Tigers if I recall correctly. I believe Edinburgh has two Sumatran.

Not sure on the sexes, I think it's a male & female at each although hopefully someone else will confirm.

3. FBBird

FBBird Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Tiger Enclosures....

You might like to investigate Hamerton (generic subspecies hybrids) and Thrigby Hall (Sumatran), both of which have immersion Tiger enclosures.

4. pipaluk

pipaluk Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Sadly Colchester's female was found not to be pure Amur and they will not breed them again ,after one litter of cubs, which were DNS

5. Gigit

Gigit Well-Known Member

Paignton's Sumatran Tigers

Paignton's Sumatran tigers are:
    Male, Tenang, born in Perth 14 September 2000, Maku x Calang, arrived in Paignton December 2002
    Female, Shakira, who arrived from Berlin Tierpark on 2 October 2014. I don't have her birth details to hand at the moment.

6. oflory

oflory Well-Known Member 10+ year member Premium Member

7. kiyajade

kiyajade New Member

Wow, thanks so much! That's all really helpful. Thrigby Hall is particularly interesting!

8. spike241

spike241 Well-Known Member

Howletts has 1 male and 1 female Sumatran tiger.

9. Macaw16

Macaw16 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Noah's Ark Zoo Farm has two Bengal Tigers, Tiana and Khan although I'm not sure on their sexes.
    P.S. Hi fellow Yorkie!

10. lowland anoa

lowland anoa Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Yes Edinburgh have two Sumatran.

11. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Their is a full list of current UK and European Sumatran's on this thread: If you need anymore info just ask :) http://www.zoochat.com/9/sumatran-tigers-europe-152676/

12. Brum

Brum Well-Known Member 10+ year member

You say "Bengal" but technically they're just zoo-mix tigers (well circus mix in this case!) but Dudley have a pair of Sumatran tigers.

This link may be of some use to you though :-
    ZootierlisteHomepage

13. Campbell89

Are there any pure bengal in the uk?

I know chester had two 'Bengal' females before they got the current pair of Sumatran's (actually the had a male Sumatran, Kepala, before Fabi) but I think the two labelled as 'Bengal' may also have been generic zoo tigers.

14. pipaluk

pipaluk Well-Known Member 10+ year member

There are no pure Bengal in the UK( or anywhere in Europe I think)

15. zoogiraffe

zoogiraffe Well-Known Member

Chester did not have any Bengal Tigers before the new Sumatrans arrived,despite what the labels said,they were a pair of zoo-mix Tigers from West Mids,that they very nearly got stuck with,because West Mids didn't have the space to take them back,so for awhile they were rotated with the pure Sumatran male that arrived!

16. Campbell89

I knew they was rotated with Kepala and I knew they went back to WMSP although I didn't realise they had come from there. Did Chester have them just to fill the tiger enclosure after the Amur's passed/left?

17. meg4213

meg4213 New Member

Dartmoor have two Amur tigers, a brother and sister, called Vladimir and Stripe. They share an enclosure called 'tiger rock'.
    Mother was called Tammy (moved to France), Father called Spar who died years ago.
    Stripe was born 11th or the 14th December 2000 (not 100% this one)
    Vlad was born 1 June 2001
    Both tigers were hand-reared
    Hope this helps

Last edited: 11 Mar 2015
  18. zoogiraffe

zoogiraffe Well-Known Member

Yes they took them,under the agreement that West Mids would take the back as soon as Chester,got a Sumatran Tiger just that West Mids at the time were breeding White Tigers like rabbits,and didn't have the space,hence Chester having to keep them alot longer than they wanted!

19. Jackwow

Jackwow Well-Known Member 10+ year member

HWP has the best tiger enclosure in the UK and has 4 Amur Tigers (parents and cubs).

20. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Rare Species Conservation Centre has one male and one female Malayan tiger. I believe these are the only members of this subspecies in the UK. They are in adjacent yards, the larger of which includes existing trees and a man-made pond.

Wildlife Heritage Foundation has several tiger yards, all more or less generic grass yards. When I visited two years ago, one had generic Bengal mix tigers (two or three adults), one had Amur tigers (parents with two juvenile cubs), one had Sumatran tigers (two adults).