Join our zoo community

Where can I find these animals?

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by TheEthiopianWolf03, 3 Aug 2017.

1. TheEthiopianWolf03

TheEthiopianWolf03 Well-Known Member

I'm looking for some interesting animals to add to a life list I have been making. I'm specifically looking for the animals classified as extinct in the wild. I'm still reading up on zoo history so if a certain animal can't be publicly seen, just say "not in public view".

Mammals
    Platypus
    Pangolin (Any species)
    Père Davis deer
    Sumatran rhino (I know that they can't be seen in zoos anymore but do they let visitors in the area where the rhinos live?)
    Walia ibex (I heard they were in a zoo in Europe but I forgot the name)
    Any pimpied (besides Californian sea lion and pasific walrus)
    Beluga

Birds
    Kiwi
    Kea
    Kakapo
    Hawaiian crow
    King penguin
    Chinstrap penguin
    Guam rail
    Guam kingfisher

2. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

Nope; to the best of my knowledge there are no Walia in captivity.

There are certainly no Walia outside Ethiopia.

TheEthiopianWolf03 likes this.
  3. natel12

natel12 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Northern elephant seal- Pittsburgh zoo
    Gray and harbor seals are quite common in the us, but I know off the top of my head that the national zoo, Detroit zoo, and Brookfield zoo have them
    Beluga whales-Georgia aquarium and shedd aquarium I think whatever the aquarium in chicagos name is

I know Cincinnati has king penguins

Columbus, Pittsburgh, Brookfield, and three other zoos have pangolins Brookfield is the only one that i know that has them on exhibit right now

4. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

I'm not sure I understand the connection between "I'm specifically looking for the animals classified as extinct in the wild" and the animals on your list. However:

*Platypus: only in Australia. In captivity they can be seen at Australian Reptile Park, David Fleay Wildlife Park, Healesville Sanctuary, Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary, Melbourne Zoo, Platypus House, Taronga Zoo, Walkabout Creek Wildlife Park, and WILDLIFE Sydney Zoo

*Pangolin: in Asia they pop up at various zoos, but are always at Singapore Night Safari (Singapore), Taipei Zoo (Taiwan), and the Pangolin and Carnivore Conservation Centre (Vietnam). In Europe they are at Leipzig Zoo (Germany). In the USA they are at Brookfield Zoo, Pittsburgh Zoo, Turtleback Zoo, Memphis Zoo, Columbus Zoo, and Gladys Porter Zoo (not on display at all of them).

*Pere David's Deer: in China they are in dozens of nature reserves, and in captivity there are many hundreds (thousands?) worldwide.

*Sumatran Rhino: captive rhinos are at centres in Sabah and Sumatra. The Sabah one can be visited. The Sumatran one could be visited when I was at Way Kambas but that was eight years ago - I think it still can be though.

*Walia ibex: wild in Ethiopia.

*"Any pinniped" is way too broad, so I'm going to ignore it.

*Beluga: there are a bunch of North American holders listed in this thread from a few days ago: Zoos that are the only one to hold a species.

5. aardvark250

aardvark250 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

For any pinniped, just go to japan and you can have a dozen of species.

6. TheEthiopianWolf03

I thought as much. I found an old video of a man who identifies an ibex as a "Walia ibex". He is Ethiopian and the zoo seems to be located in Switzerland.

7. TheEthiopianWolf03

My statement only refers to the animals that are extinct in the wild. I added a some others that I was searching for on my list. I'm sorry if I wasn't clear on that.

8. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

Yeah, I know where the confusion arises - Zurich used to hold Nubian Ibex, which was once deemed conspecific with the Walia Ibex and looks very similar. As such I suspect the visitor who recorded the video got confused between the two species :)

9. d1am0ndback

d1am0ndback Well-Known Member

Many private zoos with a variety of hoofstock in America have Pere David's Deer, such as Sharkarosa in texas and wildlife safari in Missouri. Memphis zoo also has them.

Kea can be found in a handful of US zoos such as Cincinnati and Bronx.

Guam kingfisher is fairly distributed in AZA, and guam rail is less so but is found in a handful of zoos such as Lincoln Park, San Antonio, and Sedgewick County.

Chinstrap penguin can be found in zoos/ aquariums with several antarctic species such as Moody Gardens and Sea World San Diego (If you want rarer penguins they also have emperor there).

A few zoos have kiwi, but good luck finding them in the zoo, since Toledo has them in an outdoor bird cage (not nocturnal) and the ones at Columbus are very good at hiding.

(This is all based off American zoos since your location is USA)

10. DavidBrown

DavidBrown Well-Known Member 15+ year member

The Franklin Park Zoo in Boston has kea and kiwis. As of summer 2017 Brookfield Zoo is the only zoo in the U.S. with pangolin on exhibit, although apparently Memphis Zoo is preparing an exhibit in their nocturnal hall from what someone who recently visited there told me.

There aren't any Hawaiian crows on exhibit in zoos. They are or were releasing them on the Big Island. Not sure how difficult or possible it is to see them in the wild.

11. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Pangolin - Brookfield
    Pinniped - Harbor and Gray seals are very common
    Beluga - Shedd Aquarium, SeaWorld Orlando
    Kiwi - Smithsonian National Zoo
    Guam Birds - Kingfisher is relatively common at AZA zoos (easy to find in Milwaukee's exhibit), Rails are a little more rare (Lincoln Park has them.)

12. natel12

natel12 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Guam rails can be found in the national aviary