Join our zoo community

Which extinct pigeon species would you bring back if you could?

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by Sarus Crane, 15 Dec 2019.

?

Which extinct pigeon species would you bring back if you could?

Poll closed 15 Mar 2020.
  1. Passenger Pigeon (Ectopistes migratorius)

66.7%
  2. Liverpool Pigeon (Caloenas maculata)

7.4%
  3. Choiseul Pigeon (Microgoura meeki)

18.5%
  4. Rodrigues Blue Pigeon (Alectroenas rodericana)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Mauritius Blue Pigeon (Alectroenas nitidissima)

3.7%
  6. Reunion Pigeon (Columba duboisi)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Bonin Wood Pigeon (Columba versicolor)

3.7%
  1. FBBird

FBBird Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I agree those birds aren't Passenger Pigeons, but am not convinced they would not adapt to breeding in smaller groups or single pairs.

ThylacineAlive likes this.
  2. Luke da Zoo nerd

Luke da Zoo nerd Well-Known Member

I voted passenger, but the Liverpool pigeon is cool too. I didn't think it would compete with the passenger though.

3. tetrapod

tetrapod Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Refused to vote due to the lack of Natunaornis gigoura - Fiji's version of a dodo, the Viti Levu giant pigeon.

Batto likes this.
  4. drill

drill Well-Known Member

Why bring back Passenger when you already have Mourning.

5. Sheather

Sheather Well-Known Member 10+ year member

dramatic behavioral differences

6. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

And, as noted upthread, not actually all that closely related to Zenaida.

7. Batto

Batto Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Isn't that a tad bit superficial? "I'm sorry, but we cannot resurrect your species." "But, why???" "You're not attractive enough and don't look like pigeons. Next!" :p

As for the aforementioned Carolina parakeet, it always makes me sad to think that if the German ornithologist Hans Freiherr von Berlepsch had taken better care, the species might have had a chance for a comeback thanks to ex situ conservation.
    Once in zoos but now extinct

8. animal_expert01

animal_expert01 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

So no one knows where Liverpool pigeons are from? Is this a scenario where a specimen was collected and then sat in a museum for years before someone recognised it was something new and unique?

9. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

Not quite; it was recognised as distinct by the ornithologist John Latham in the 18th century based on two specimens and a drawing which he had been shown (of which one specimen and the drawing have been lost), but he wasn't given locality information for either specimen. We can make educated guesses that the species lived in the South Pacific based on the origin of other specimens in the two personal collections which held them, and some suggestion has been made that the species came from Tahiti due to reports of a somewhat-similar bird in the accounts of Tahitians interviewed in the 1920s.

Unfortunately, after being recognised as distinct for many years, in the 19th century the zoological consensus was that the species was probably just a deformed Nicobar Pigeon - largely due to the fact Rothschild held a lot of influence and didn't accept the species himself - and although this has now been conclusively debunked, valuable time (and one specimen) was lost so we likely will never know for sure.

animal_expert01 likes this.
  10. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Onychorhynchus coronatus Well-Known Member

Hope I don't come across as a spoil sport or to sound like a total bore but to be frank I wouldn't want to bring back any of them from extinction in that hypothetical situation.

I'd rather focus and mobilize resources / research and attention on extant but critically endangered columbidae species and particularly those from Brazil like the purple winged ground dove and the blue eyed ground dove.

I feel that living species have to be the priority and I think that the passenger pigeon and other extinct columbids do serve as very poignant (and useful) illustrative symbols and reminders of the tragedy of extinction.

11. CheeseChameleon1945

CheeseChameleon1945 Well-Known Member

Those are very threatened species, I agree with you there.

12. Pootle

Pootle Well-Known Member

this fellow sends a shiver down my spine. The Pink Pigeon (Nesoenas mayeri). Off topic but this little devil had me in the mid-late 1990's killing hours and hours of time on an online (bear in mid to late mind late 90's) model to look at population levels effect given all sorts of eco, bio & natural disasters, it would not work and everyone invented the findings and our Professor even gave us all a decent score to keep shhhh!